Monday, September 7, 2009

First Football Game as a Spectator

Well to begin this story, I was a member of the University of Utah football team until last spring well I injured my shoulder. At the time I had already had two previous surgeries on the same shoulder so as you can imagine this was the end of my football career. The transition from being a player to a spectator has not been very easy for me, with that being said I decided to attend the football game to show my support for my friends. Not even 3 minutes upon arrival to the game a little kid noticed me from last year and asked for my autograph. After I signed my autograph the kid asked why I was not in the locker room getting ready, I told him what happen and why I was not playing anymore. He looked at me and gave my the paper I had signed for him back. Shortly after that security tried to kick me off the field saying "you are not on the team anymore, you don't belong here". All I could do was smile while thinking "I love my life".

2 comments:

  1. Wow, a security guard told you that? That's quite inconsiderate.

    On the other hand, I know what it's like to be a spectator to a sport that you love. An injury at one point in my life caused me to sit on the bench on my basketball team. Now I know it's not quite similar to yours but I know the pain seeing your fellow teammates out there and not being able to help them. It's rough and it's something that no athlete likes to go through. I wish saying "I'm sorry" for what happened to you would help but those words don't always cure away the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain brother, I grew up playing foot ball myself. My freshman year in high school I made the varsity team (Highland High) but a few weeks into summer conditioning I broke my finger at practice. Well that's obviously not a career ending injury but what happened is that I chose to go skateboarding on my day off of practice. Bad idea... I fell and severely dislocated my elbow. The damn thing never healed right so I couldn't straighten my arm for four long years. At that point I bit the bullet and decided to get surgery to fix it. I never got to play football in high school after years of preparation in little league.

    ReplyDelete